Development Director - StepUp Durham
Do you seek and value diversity, inclusiveness, equity, accountability, and collaboration? Do you believe lives can be transformed through partnership and opportunity? Are you passionate about serving your neighbor and your community?
Are you called to serve in a dynamic, growing collaborative and build relationships with those who want to invest in its work? Do you excel in a team that is driven by impact, celebrates efforts and success, and values each voice? Are you ready to lead with your expertise and experience while continuing to learn?
Are you the next Development Director of StepUp Durham?
A job can change everything! Gaining employment is the first step to stability.
StepUp Durham started in 2013 when a group of concerned residents came together to address under- and unemployment in Durham. A committee helped establish core organizational principles and practices of racial equity, community listening, and asset-based community development. Guided by the mission of StepUp Ministry in Raleigh, NC, StepUp Durham’s doors opened in September 2015.
In the 2021-2022 fiscal year, StepUp Durham partnered with 415 participants to secure 152 job placements. Graduates were employed at an average wage of $15.29/hour. The challenges faced by those served range from33% formerly incarcerated, 51% living in a shelter or homeless, and/or 20% in recovery.
StepUp Durham assists adults seeking to transform their lives through employment and life skills training. Learn more by going to https://www.stepupdurham.org/.
What will you do as StepUp Durham’s next Development Director?
- Develop and drive a relationship-based annual development plan in partnership with the Executive Director, board, and staff.
- Raise sufficient funds to meet annual budget and quarterly targets.
- Create a case for support that aligns with the strategic plan and inspires individuals and organizations to invest.
- Serve as a member of the leadership team bringing a philanthropic lens to organizational strategies and helping to ensure strong staff relations and fulfilment of mission, vision, and core values.
- Oversee the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donor constituent groups including board, individuals, corporations, and congregations, utilizing staff and board for execution.
- Manage a personal portfolio of donors resulting in direct face to face solicitation.
- Manage annual campaigns by developing strategy and executing the plan.
- Execute a formal stewardship plan to further engage donors and volunteers in the mission and to show appreciation for their investments.
- Work with the team to conduct fundraising events designed to increase awareness, raise funds, and offer an effective entry point to the organization as needed.
- Drive the organizational grant process by identifying opportunities, making connections, preparing submissions with feedback from the team, submitting applications and ensuring reporting requirements are met.
- Integrate high-level communication and marketing concepts that support the overall development strategy and enhance the message of StepUp Durham.
- Share stories of impact to motivate volunteers, board members, donors, and partners in ways that inspire support.
- Build the reputation and exposure of the organization through community outreach.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Development Committee.
- Execute donation processing, ensuring proper record keeping, and acknowledgment for donations punctually.
- Maintain proper records and data in the donor database on donors and relationships.
Key lived experiences, attributes, and skillsets sought in the Development Director
- At least 3 years of proven leadership of a comprehensive resource development program with successful face to face solicitations of major gifts ($5,000+) and experience in marketing and communications is preferred
- Organized and detailed-oriented with demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments
- Highly motivated, results-oriented individual who excels in an entrepreneurial environment
- Exceptional communicator with external and internal audiences with the ability to articulate, verbally and in writing, a passion for the mission
- Understanding and appreciation for StepUp Durham’s mission and the ability to communicate the unique aims and values of the organization to major donors and prospects
- Demonstrated understanding of using data to drive fundraising efforts and CRM database experience; familiarity with SalesForce preferred
- Success building relationships with teammates and members of the community who can personally invest, or who can influence individual, congregational, or corporate giving
- Success working with a non-profit board of directors and fundraising committees
Think you are the next StepUp Durham Development Director?
To apply, click on the link to the Development Director position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/jobs. You will see instructions for uploading your cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and professional references. Please provide all requested information to be considered. In case of any technical problems, contact email@example.com. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or directly from third-party posting sites.
The preferred deadline to apply is October 14, 2022. Resumes will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Salary is commensurate with the requirements of the position and the range is $60K to $70K. Benefits include health care through United Healthcare; 10 paid vacation days; all national holidays off; time off between Christmas and New Year’s; and a retirement savings program and match. StepUp Durham has a flexible office environment allowing for remote working when not in meetings or doing community outreach.
StepUp Durham actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates. StepUp Durham is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.