Construction Supervisor - Mountain Housing Opportunities
Are you enthusiastic about single-family home construction? Do you have a heart to work with and teach low-income families while they engage in hands-on construction to build their own homes? Do you value diversity, equity, and inclusion and can you demonstrate this professionally and personally? Are you the next Construction Supervisor at Mountain Housing Opportunities (MHO)?
MHO continues to expand and improve its services to meet the critical needs of Asheville and Buncombe and surrounding counties. MHO knows that more than 20,000 Buncombe County households in Western NC struggle to afford a safe, attractive home in a good neighborhood, and that more than 45% of people of color face housing insecurity. MHO serves more than 1,500 households each year and builds an average of more than 80 new homes annually. Now MHO seeks a Construction Supervisor to join a dedicated team and help achieve the organization’s strategic vision.
What will you do as MHO’s Construction Supervisor?
The Construction Supervisor works directly with clients, subcontractors, and material suppliers to help small groups of low-income families, who work together as a team, to build their own houses. The Construction Supervisor reports directly to and is supervised by the Homeownership Program Manager. Responsibilities include:
- Train and supervise groups of families in the construction of their homes using the mutual self-help construction method.
- Organize and lead work crews of families for maximum efficiency of manpower, materials and safety.
- Teach tool-safety, maintain safe working conditions, and obtain adequate tools for jobs to be performed.
- Prepare house plans, dwelling specifications, and cost estimates.
- Secure subcontractors as required and monitor their work.
- Order and purchase construction materials and supplies.
- Maintain records as required.
- Keep all aspects of construction in compliance with all applicable regulations, standards, and codes.
- Participate in all building inspections carried out by USDA Rural Development and local building inspectors.
MHO is a nonprofit housing and community development organization serving principally Asheville, Buncombe County, and other areas of Western North Carolina. Our mission is to build and improve homes, neighborhoods, communities, and lives, and to build hope and dignity in the people we serve. We believe that if you work in this community, you should be able to live here in a safe, attractive affordable home in a good neighborhood, and when you retire or if you become disabled, this should still be true.
MHO produces over $15 million each year in affordable and workforce housing development, apartment leasing and management, home lending, housing preservation in the form of Emergency Home Repairs for low-income homeowners, and neighborhood revitalization. Since our founding in 1988, MHO has helped over 7,000 households and now serves more than 2,000 people each year in our combined programs.
The foundation of MHO’s core values is diversity, equity, and inclusion. MHO’s commitment to this foundation is unwavering, across all of our work. These principles are central to our mission and to our impact. We know that having varied perspectives helps generate better ideas to solve the complex housing problems of a changing and increasingly diverse world. With leadership support from NeighborWorks America, a national network of housing and community development organizations, MHO is working to build on our positive record of diversity, equity, and inclusion by incorporating DEI principles and practices in all areas of MHO operations, programs, hiring and human resources, training, promotions, contracting, management, and governance. MHO looks forward to a new team member who can join us on this continued journey!
Want to know more? Visit MHO’s website at www.mtnhousing.org.
Key lived experiences, attributes, and skillsets sought in the Construction Supervisor
- 5+ years of hands-on professional homebuilding experience.
- Ability to teach building skills to unskilled workers.
- Ability to work with a diverse population of varying socioeconomic levels.
- Willingness to work irregular hours as required, including most weekends.
- Ability to arbitrate and resolve disputes and to creatively solve problems.
- Excellent communication skills.
Think you are MHO’s Next Construction Supervisor?
To apply, click on the link to the Construction Supervisor position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/jobs. You will see instructions for uploading your compelling cover letter, resume and salary requirements. Please provide all requested information to be considered. No applications will be accepted by email or directly from third-party posting sites. Review of candidates will continue until the position is filled.
Salary is commensurate with the requirements of the position and begins in the $50,000 range. Benefits include health, dental, and life insurance, short-term disability, 403(b) retirement plan, 11 paid holidays, and accrued vacation and sick time.