Vice President of Advancement - Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Carolinas
Are you passionate about seeing youth succeed? Do you believe in the power of mentorship to change the trajectory of a young person’s life? Are fundraising and leading teams your superpowers?
If so, you may be the next Vice President of Advancement for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Carolinas.
Big Brothers Big Sisters’ mission is to create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth.
For more than 100 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters has operated under the belief that inherent in every child is the ability to succeed and thrive in life. As the nation’s largest donor- and volunteer-supported mentoring network, Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”), ages 6 through 18, in communities across the country. We develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people.
Since 1972, Big Brother Big Sisters has been providing mentors (Bigs) for children (Littles) in this region. Today, we serve more than 1,100 children in Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, and York counties, through traditional community- and school-based mentoring and innovative specialty programs that connect caring adults with local children in meaningful one-to-one relationships. Research proves that children matched with positive role models are more likely to succeed than those who do not have mentors. Big Brothers Big Sisters is proven to help children overcome adversity and beat the odds by improving academic achievement and other factors that lead to success in life.
Look at the outcomes that are produced with Littles because of our program:
- High School Graduation: 100% of Littles graduated high school
- Grades/Academic Performance: 93% improved or maintained their academic performance.
- Emotional Regulation: 90% of Littles reported ongoing or improved emotional regulation abilities
- Substance use: 94% of Littles avoided substance use
Each of the indicators above are critical factors that lead to greater, long-term outcomes.
Learn more about our vision, and our team by visiting https://bbbscentralcarolinas.org/
The Vice President of Advancement leads the creation and execution of a comprehensive, growth-focused development plan and an innovative, agency-wide marketing plan. Both plans will focus on inspiring current and prospective stakeholders to invest their time, talents, and finances in BBBSCC and will distinguish the BBBSCC brand and giving opportunity from other youth-serving organizations.
The current contributed revenue is $2M with approximately 31% of revenue generated through events (Bowl for Kids Sake, Big Toast, Big Day of Golf), 29% from grants, 17% from corporations, 15% from individuals, and 10% from United Way). Over the next four years, the goal for the organization includes doubling the number of young people served and increasing contributed revenue to over $4M with a focus on growing individual and foundation giving.
Reporting to the President and CEO the VP of Advancement is responsible for growth across revenue channels. Ideal candidates are people-focused, data-driven, pipeline managers who excel at coaching and motivating a team.
It is an exciting time to be part of BBBSCC. With a recent investment from Mackenzie Scott, BBBSCC has secured new office space and is working to strategically align the overall team to increase their impact.
What will you do as BBBSCC VP of Advancement?
The VP of Advancement shares our passion for mentoring young people and will be entrusted with the following key responsibilities:
- Strategic leadership of growing contributed revenue and marketing strategies.
- Building a strong pipeline of new supporters, driving donor acquisition, retention, and revenue growth.
- Managing a personal portfolio of key donors and supporting the Executive Director and Board of Directors with managing their donor portfolios.
- Building and leading a team of development professionals (currently 4 full time including: Events Manager, Individual Giving Manager, Marketing & Communication Manager, Donor Data & Research Coordinator, and a part time Grants Manager) to reach revenue goals and engage donors in the mission of BBBSCC by providing coaching, removing barriers, and empowering through a comprehensive strategy.
- Designing and establishing development processes and controls that maximize efficiency and drive results.
- Assessing current fund development programs and events and making recommendations for adjustments to maximize income and impact.
- Effectively forecasting revenue and working with your team to manage pipeline, adequately predict revenue, and increase conversion and retention rates.
- Leading marketing, branding and overall community awareness efforts for the organization. Including all print, digital and social functions.
- Steward board committees including development, alumni, and marketing committee.
Key lived experiences, attributes, and skillsets sought
We’re looking for individuals who are committed to the mission, vision, and values of Big Brothers Big Sisters. In addition, the VP of Advancement should possess the following key attributes:
- 5+ years of recent, relevant experience leading a growth-oriented contributed revenue program and a dynamic marketing program within a mid to large organization
- Partner, collaborator, strategic thinker, and excellent communicator
- Has led a team of development and marketing professionals
- Goal-oriented and aspirational with a natural inclination to think beyond the immediate
- Strong metrics orientation with a proven methodology to set achievable goals, regularly measure productivity/progress, and adjust in real-time
- Agile with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Excellent spoken and written communication, interpersonal, relationship-building skills
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Business, Marketing, or other related lived experience is required. Nonprofit or CFRE certification is preferred
- Computer competency and knowledge of database tracking through the utilization of sophisticated and integrated information management systems. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Donor Perfect (or similar donor database)
BBBSCC is committed to attracting, retaining, and promoting a diverse workforce for the benefit of our clients, our business and ourselves. Individual differences bring richness to thinking, creating and problem solving. We believe that achieving and valuing diversity in our workplace is fundamental to the continued success of BBBSCC. We further believe that by incorporating diversity into our company philosophy, we add value to our clients, we enrich our colleagues, and we advance our mission
Think you are the next VP of Advancement for BBBSCC?
To apply, click on the link to the Vice President of Development position profile at ArmstrongMcGuire.com/jobs. You will see instructions for uploading your cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and professional references. Please provide all requested information to be considered. In case of any technical problems, contact email@example.com. No phone calls, please, and no applications will be accepted by email or from third-party posting sites. Preferred application deadline is November 30, but applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. Finalist must submit to a full background check and pass drug testing prior to hire.
Equal Employment Opportunity BBBSA provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, or non-disqualifying physical or mental handicap or disability. Americans with Disabilities Act Applicants as well as employees who are or become disabled must be able to perform the essential duties & responsibilities either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The organization shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law.
Salary and benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience and is anticipated to be between $95,000-$100,000. Big Brothers Big Sisters offers a benefits package that includes 11 paid holidays, 15 days of paid time off, paid medical, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability (employees are covered at 100% and may opt to include their families, but must pay their premiums in full), FSA available and 401k with match based on eligibility and subject to organization’s financial position. Up to 4 hours per year for parental involvement in schools, and cell phone reimbursement.
Work environment and physical demands
Most of the work required is performed in an office environment (a blend of virtual and office) with the flexibility to be partially remote. The team member must be able to effectively maneuver within the office area and perform essential functions necessary to perform the job duties and have valid Driver’s License and transportation.